Thursday, April 22, 2010

Clay's Bio

Growing up in Apopka, there was really nothing to do but stay outside. Me and the guys I grew up with would find something to do, whether it be basketball, football, soccer, baseball, even paintball for about three days ... anything and everything was fair game as long as we were outside.

I can always remember, as a kid, seeing my dad roll in after a long ride with his buddies and wanted that. That freedom to ride somewhere off the beaten path, to push your body harder and faster, long before most people even wake. Finally getting to an age when you can get a good road bike, I got my Raleigh USA, my road bike. I soon learned all the tricks of pack riding and the great distances you can reach on two wheels, fresh legs, and a real comfy saddle.

After moving up the Gainesville, I lost track of my cycling, mostly because I had no where to put the bike, and got into distance running. Doing a couple half marathons and marathons, I wanted to get back into biking but really wanted it to take me somewhere. This is when I learned of a friend's trip across the US and knew that was it. I wanted to take my bike from ocean to ocean and see as much of this country in one summer as possible. Being my last summer before grad school, this may be my last chance for a real trip of a lifetime and seeing this country on foot, camping every night, and riding everyday seems like the best way to spend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment